Directionless and Drifting: A Nostalgia Mix
Here’s a little Sunday night treat for you: I made a new mix called Directionless and Drifting. It’s a collection of songs about nostalgia. If you read this blog regularly, you’ll know that’s one of my favorite topics and I’m constantly amazing at how music triggers memories.
I’ve included songs that are about nostalgia and memories and childhood as well as songs that are forever tied to specific times in my life; Forget and Not Slow Down takes me back to my first semester at Kutztown, Devil Town takes me back to the summer commuting into New York, Change of Time reminds me of Nashville. Then there are songs that, for a reasons I’ll never understand, the first time I heard them, a wave a nostalgia swept over me as if these songs were from my past. The mix closes with two of these songs: Souvenirs by Switchfoot and It’s Not My Fault, I’m Happy by Passion Pit.
Here’s the tracklisting:
- Forget and Not Slow Down - Relient K
- First Train Home - Imogen Heap
- A Pound of Flesh - Radical Face
- The City Lights - Umbrellas
- Change of Time - Josh Ritter
- Swim Until You Can’t See Land - Frightened Rabbit
- Come Back When You Can - Barcelona
- Devil Town - Bright Eyes
- Holocene - Bon Iver
- Give it Up - The Format
- Walls - The Rocket Summer
- Forever Young - Youth Group
- Vanilla Twilight - Owl City
- Inevitable - Anberlin
- Souvenirs - Switchfoot
- It’s Not My Fault, I’m Happy - Passion Pit
I hope you enjoy it and I hope these songs cause you to consider your own histories and the soundtrack you’ve been making all along.